Sunday, June 29, 2008

power points

Those of you familiar with Microsoft Office programs may think this blog will be about some sort of slide show…however, a ”power point” in Commonwealth English is what I would call an electrical outlet.  Aside from the different voltage and shape of the prongs on plugs, there is one really big difference in power points here from what I am used to in the States—an on/off switch. This switch is really handy in that it allows you to leave something plugged in and yet have no electricity flowing through the circuit.  I usually like to have the switch turned “off” when I plug in my computer because otherwise it tends to make a rather loud crack when I plug it in…which makes me rather nervous.  However, the problem with this is that I also usually then forget to actually turn the switch on.  I can’t tell you how many times I have plugged in my computer and worked away, assuming that I was running off the electricity, when all of a sudden I get a “low battery” message on my computer and I realize that I had never actually turned the power point switch to “on”!!

2 comments:

Jeana said...

That is so cool! I wish we had on/off switches on our outlets in the States. Of course, I probably forget to turn them on, too. But I LOVE the idea!

Jan in Tulsa said...

This reminds me of a sermon I heard years ago about how a light bulb has the power, but it doesn't light up until the switch is turned on. In regards to the power point, those of us who are believers in Christ are "plugged in" to Him, but sometimes we don't have the "switch" turned on. Surrendering our will to the Spirit, we are empowered to live the abundant life Christ came to give us; living by our own desires (even if we think they are "good things"), causes our "battery" to run down and give the enemy the power to do what he wants in our lives. I'm "plugged in" to Christ, but do not always have the "switch turned on" and my battery often runs low. Thankfully, He gives me a "low battery message" that warns me of my need to turn Him on, the True Power Point of our lives! Praise You, Jesus, for never giving up on us!!
(John 10:10, Ephesians 4:22-24)