Saturday, September 18, 2010

EWWWwww!

mole cricket
Have you seen one of these? I had never seen a mole cricket before I was confronted with one in our house in Ukarumpa, Papua New Guinea, as I stumbled into our darkened bathroom in the middle of the night (this was sometime early this year...maybe Jan?). Jamie was gone on an overnight flight, so it was left to me to deal with the large dark jumping thing--if I wanted to make the bathroom safe for use! Happily, I didn't have my glasses on, so I couldn't see it very well :) Bravely I found a shoe, took care of the thing, scooped it up on the end of the fly swatter, and threw it in the burnable trash can!
A couple of other times one has made its way into our bathroom. Jamie offered to show me their really neat front legs--just like a mole, for digging, but I never really wanted to take a look. I didn't get a good look until last week, when I came across this photo as I was looking for pictures to show to a homeschool group we were speaking to. This fellow really is quite a marvel of God's creation, even if he is not one I'd like to meet again in a dark bathroom!
PS-Jamie feels that I should add they are completely harmless...I'm just being melodramatic.

No comments: