Friday, November 23, 2007

Our House

Our house was a fairly new construction, built mostly of bamboo by our brother, Bruno, for his family (wife Belinda and 2 little girls Cris & Vero).  It was really nice with four large rooms—two bedrooms, a kitchen-cooking area and another room that we used for storage.  The front had a large covered veranda where we spent a lot of time chatting, drinking tea, singing and just hanging out with friends.
There was no running water or electricity in our village, so we cooked over a fire; we had a little outhouse/pit toilet just down the hill from our house that we had sole use of; and we walked to another place to wash dishes, our clothes and ourselves (stay tuned … I’ll include pictures of those activities later).  Not having water and electricity was a new experience for me, but it was not too long that I was able to feel more comfortable without them.  It gave me a new appreciation for how much longer everything takes without them, and has made me more thankful for the blessings that I have (such as, the electricity to run my computer, allowing me to type this to you…and the phone line that allows me to post this on the internet for you to read).

No comments: