Sunday, October 19, 2008

belonging

I was in the market buying some guavas from two ladies who were probably about my mom’s age. One of them, standing on the other side of the food bench, noticed the necklace I was wearing, a Bagi. (From what I understand, these necklaces are only made in the southern island-y parts of PNG, mostly Rossel and Sudest, where they have these certain types of shells that they use (the pinkish part) and the big black things are banana seeds.) She asked me if I liked wearing my Bagi, and I said, “yes, very much!” Then she asked me whether mine was made by people from Misima or another people group. I said, “I am not sure, I didn’t really know the person that made it.”

Her friend, who was standing next to me explained, “For our people, a Bagi is traditionally used to buy a girl (i.e. as a part of ceremonial exchange between families when people get married).” She gave me a big smile and, putting her arm around my shoulders, she said, “So you belong to us now!”

I just thought that was really cute!

Here is a photo of my Bagi…which I love to wear J

And then a photo of Tuula, Karla, and I all wearing our bagis…

1 comment:

Jan in Tulsa said...

Oh, how I miss my Bagi! It's only been a week or so that I've not been able to wear it because of the string coming loose. I guess I was too hard on it. It's on it's way to Karla for repairs, and I can't wait to get it back!

The three of you look great together! I'm praying God will smooth out a path for me to join you sometime for a visit.

Jesus' Blessings!!
Jan